Thursday, February 10, 2011

Welcome to Yellowknife

On the road with our "Flying Java"
This move has come so suddenly and yet so purposefully. Josh and I have been praying about an aviation job for him since before we got married. We had no idea when or what that job would look like, but were up for anything. 

Throughout our roads trips to meet potential job opportunities, we have felt the effect of God's control on our lives in being able to meet all sorts of the 'right' people. The kind of who put us in touch with their boss, email a friend on our behalf or refer us to another company. Through all these steps, we have arrived at Summit Air in Yellowknife. 


Seems surreal that we're moving!
 Josh passed his IATRA exam and on Tuesday we loaded up the truck and pointed it north! Our drive was clear, dry and wildlife free. (Another answer to prayer). We spent the night in a goofy little motel in High Level and then said goodbye Alberta and hello NWT!

The crewhouse where Josh will be living for the next few weeks is a 3 bedroom mobile home about 10 minutes away from the airport. It's fully furnished, tidy and Josh's co-workers are really nice. We enjoyed chatting with them over wings at BPs and learning more about Summit, Yellowknife, Iqaluit and the north in general. Today was Josh's first day on the job, which left me to run a couple errands and explore a bit. Everything seems to run at a less hectic pace here. The speed limits are 45km/hr. The grocery till ladies are in no hurry to scan your shopping, anyone I ask a question to is very eager to help and everyone smiles or waves when they catch your eye. I know this is a small town thing but considering Yellowknife is 20 000 people, I'm a little surprised.  But I like it. 


Tonight I fly home to Edmonton and leave my love in Yellowknife. *sniff*  He has a very hectic month ahead of him as they train him to be an operations manager and also get him checked out on the Dornier. I have a busy month ahead of me as I need to pack up our house, find a job and MC a wedding. It will go by quickly and I'm hoping the days that we're apart will zoom by. We'll meet up next in Iqaluit at the end of March and I'm already counting down the days. 

2 comments: