Friday, March 25, 2011

ᐊᓄᕌᖅᑐᖅ - anuraaqtuq - It's windy!

We just found out that an apartment building burnt to the ground on Wednesday night. You can read more about it atTownie Bastard - The Fire or Iqaluit Fire. That building housed six or seven nurses from the hospital. No one was hurt, but everything is gone. This news made me reflect on the sovereignty of God. If I had a already been hired and had all the paperwork in place for my nursing job...like I had been planning and working towards in Edmonton, Josh and I likely would have been at that apartment building on Wednesday night. We could have lost everything in that fire. God is good. I’m so thankful for His control over our lives and that He knows best….even when I’m impatient and frustrated with how slow things seemed to be coming together. He saved us from a very dangerous situation.

This afternoon, the weather was a bright and sunny -21C with winds at 60km/hr, causing a wind chill of -40C. Josh and I braved the wind and went for a walk on the Frobisher Bay. It was hard to believe that it a couple months the place we were walking would be open water. We had watched a jeep and two snowmobiles drive out onto it, so we figured we were safe to do so as well. I was surprised at how smooth and slippery the ice was in certain spots and how tall the ice tide made the ice formations. We could also see the cracks in the ice that result from the tide. We took some photographs and sacrificed our finger tips in doing so. I wish I was a photographer…these photos definitely do not give our surroundings justice. They’re just from my ‘point and shoot’ camera. But they give an idea of the terrain and environment.



ᖁᓕᑦᑕᐅᔭᖅ - qulittaujag - parka

The RCMP plane on final descent


ᓯᑯ - siku - ice

Cracks in the ice due to the tide




Ice 'waves' are over six feet tall

ᕿᐅᙱᑦᑐᖓ -qiunngittunga – I am not cold

ᐊᖁᐊ - aqua - boat



No comments:

Post a Comment