Tuesday, September 13, 2011

ᓄᓇᑦᓯᐊᖅ - Nunatsiaq - Northwest Territories

I’m currently sitting on my Canadian North flight en route to Iqaluit after a relaxing and productive weekend in Yellowknife. I had to go meet with our realor, lawyer and see the house we've purchased in Yellowknife. My mom flew up for the weekend to explore with me. It has been very interesting visiting a true city – with roads, streetlights, traffic laws (that you have to obey), and people. The differences between Yellowknife and Iqaluit have me smiling and thankful for our time in the north.


When I first landed in Yellowknife, my first impression was “look at all the green trees!” I had to laugh when my mom landed and she was astounded at all the rock and lakes. Rock and water is something that I’m very accustomed to now. The nature in this part of the north is very different than Baffin. Each territory has its own beauty and uniqueness that I love. Yellowknife has cleverly built itself around, within and through the natural rock faces, hills, lakes and forests. The entire city is connected by walking trails that remind me of Edmonton’s river valley. We enjoyed exploring the lakes in town and venturing down the Ingraham trail to see the Cameron falls. 

Mom's first time north!

One thing Josh and I have come to love about Iqaluit is the relaxed pace of life, the lack of hustle and bustle. We call it “living simply.” Our adjustment to this has been an easy one, since we left everything behind in Edmonton and came to Iqaluit with the bare minimum. It has been an experience we wouldn’t trade for anything. And I would dare say that my husband has even learned to relax after an intense six years of school and flying. 

Compared to Edmonton, Yellowknife is a small city. Compared to Iqaluit, it's huge! As I drove to explore it, I had to remind myself to keep my eyes on the road despite the fact there was so much to see! I even got mild car sickness at driving “so fast” (45km/hr). But having lived a pedestrian lifestyle this summer, it felt like highway speeds. Driving downtown made me feel claustrophobic due to all the people, cars, signs and streetlights. I know I’ll miss the quiet of Iqaluit.
Medical Travel - facilitating patients from the small communities for their health needs

 I expected the Northwest Territories to have more Inuit people. What I did not expect was the large number of different types of indigenous people here! This sign at the airport made my eyes grow wide at all the different people groups that are represented in this territory. I suppose the climate is (slightly) less extreme and the environment lends itself to more animals, which in turn supports more human life. At least, that’s what I think….I’ll have lots to learn about the culture here and I'll miss being saturated in the Inuit culture.


At the Bush Pilot's monument admiring all the GREEN trees!
Houseboats in the lake - people live on them year round
Eclectic little homes proudly displaying Yellowknife's history

When Josh first moved here, I remember him telling me that Yellowknife is the perfect place for him because it is centered around flying. He then quickly assured me that it was the perfect for me too, because it is surrounded by water. Mom and I so enjoyed watching all the float planes come and go from the lake. The sound of airplane engines brings back childhood memories of my Dad flying in Botswana and now it makes me think of my airborne husband. Yellowknife is a city built for aviation, and we intend to enjoy it to the fullest.
Pilot's paradise
Float planes were everywhere...we love watching them take off and land
Enjoying our sunny walk
"Walking" the dogs across the lake - one in the canoe and one in the water
Guess who's arm is who's! I don't think I've ever been so pale. Sigh.

If I am to talk about my trip out of Iqaluit, then I am obliged to talk about food. I have never been so excited to go grocery shopping in my life! The rows and rows of vibrant fruits and veggies, the rich cuts of meat, the endless selection of any type of product you can imagine. I bought 74 kilograms of groceries for less than $300. In Iqaluit, a basket of groceries will easily cost over $100. Oh, and the freshness of the food made my mouth tingle. I could individually taste each layer of my Tim Horton's B.E.L.T. breakfast sandwich - the bacon so crisp, the tomato so sweet, the lettuce so crisp. Food tasted like food again...without the heavy price tag. My definition of "expensive" has been forever altered.

Quirky, odd little restaurant in Old Town that serves amazing food
Arctic char (from Nunavut), salad with feta dill dressing, home made fries....yum!

Nature never ceases to amaze me. From the rugged beauty of Iqaluit's tundra to the luscious forests of Yellowknife, I can't help but agree with the Psalmist that "the heavens declare the glory of God, the skies proclaim the work of His hands" (Psalm 19). Each terrain is unique and stunning in its own way. To say I like one more than the other would be a lie. I'm learning to be content and enjoy what the Lord has in front of me one day at a time, rather than wishing for something different. As I do so, I feel content in the place God has me. Whether it be here, there or somewhere else. 

Before coming to Iqaluit, God was teaching me to REST - rely, exalt, surrender and trust. (Learn more...)This summer has served to refine that lesson. In lonely, fun, anxious, exciting, peaceful or boring times, I am learning to place my focus on my Lord and claim His promise in Jeremiah 29: 11-14. " For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you."

Niven lake - I think I took pictures of every single blade of grass...so green!
Cameron Falls - exquisite hiking trail over the Canadian Shield



Despite her close encounters with hippos, elephants, cheetahs, water buffalo, hyenas, lions, crocodiles and cobras, Mom was very reluctant to meet a Canadian black bear face to face!
After only seeing a few birds and fish this summer, I'm ready for wildlife!
Wildlife!

No comments:

Post a Comment